The Western press wrote about the transfer of Ukrainian military units to the Chernobyl zone. Despite the fact that the area near the “sarcophagus” is still considered closed due to radioactivity, Ukraine, apparently, is also afraid of a Russian invasion here. On the Web, the news immediately became another occasion for sharp comments and outright banter.
The argument of the Ukrainian military is simple: the shortest route to Kiev leads from the north, from the Belarusian border, and runs through the closed zone around the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. It was here in 1986 that the worst nuclear disaster in history occurred.
As Lieutenant Colonel of the Border Guard Service of Ukraine Yuriy Shakhraychuk said, the main task of the Ukrainian military in the zone is not to repel, but to detect warning signals about the “invasion” of the Russians. Here is how these military decisions were commented on the Web.
“In fact, the radiation background there is different, there is where it went off scale. The guys who were sent there can grab Baer for nothing, and then give birth to orcs for sure, ” mojohed2012 user said .
“So this is where the snorks come from (predatory monsters of the Zone. – “MK” ) … Although, seriously, there is not much fun in all this. With years of brainwashing, sailors can do a lot of trouble, ”says alexey2073 .
“Did they take instructors from the USA and Britain with them? Very informative excursions can be carried out in this zone, ” Egoza is interested .
“Chu, what is this rustle in the bushes, probably, the Russians are crawling. Birds flew up over the trees, hares ran en masse and, finally, the long-awaited rumble of tank engines. What other signs of a Russian invasion do the Ukrainian Pathfinders want to see? It should be funny ourselves, ”the user rotmistr60 did not miss the opportunity for a joke .
One of the users with the nickname Piramidon even suggested that Ukraine hopes to get hold of at least some equipment at the radiation burial grounds.
An employee of one of the Russian law enforcement agencies, on condition of anonymity, expressed his opinion on this matter.
– If we approach this issue seriously and block this strategic direction, then there will not be enough human resources for this. It is not possible to equip a continuous front line there. To simply observe this territory, drones and several posts that already exist in this zone are enough. In addition, the nuclear power plant itself is an object of increased danger, therefore it is also under enhanced protection.
– Are the Ukrainian military at risk of exposure?
– Of course, there are zones where the level of radiation that is fatal to humans has been preserved. But they are few. On the other hand, lately the stalkers who penetrate this territory have explored a large number of safe routes. Therefore, today it is not worth perceiving radiation there as a serious danger.
– How real are Ukrainian fears?
– If we are hypothetically talking about tanks or some kind of military equipment, then no. Even if just because of the lack of roads. Is that just some reconnaissance groups. Therefore, it makes no sense to strengthen this zone with regular parts. And through the abandoned city, it’s clear that no one will go. If the scouts penetrate, they will go through the forests. Why would they go into town? There is also an open territory, checkpoints, it is much more difficult to go unnoticed. And it’s hard to patrol the forest, it’s useless to use surveillance equipment, the same thermal imagers. The forests are overgrown and dense.
Since 1986, this territory has become an exclusion zone, everything grows by itself, nothing is cut down, animals run around as they want. It is useless to look through thermal cameras, because there are so many living creatures that, for example, a handful of people and a pack of dogs at a great distance will look the same. Posting there is also a bad idea. What distance should be between them to see the protected area? In winter, at best, a hundred meters, and in summer you won’t see anything at all if the forest is dense. And it turns out that this whole undertaking has no defense sense at all. One more PR.
Read Also : The expert compared the mobile capabilities of NATO and Russian troops
Follow us on Google News Asia Times Now page for faster updates.