Meghan Markle’s text messages revealed that her husband Prince Harry faced “constant abuse” from the royal family. Correspondence between the Duchess of Sussex and her former secretary of public affairs, Jason Knauf, was released in conjunction with the Court of Appeal hearing this week.
The Duchess of Sussex claimed that Prince Harry faced “constant curses” from the royals due to the strained relationship she had with her father, as text messages show.
Earlier this year, 40-year-old Megan successfully sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), publisher MailOnline and The Mail on Sunday, for more than five articles, which reproduced part of its “personal” letter to his father, Thomas Markle in 2018, according to Sky News.
The High Court originally ruled that the publication was illegal and the ANL is now appealing the decision.
Meghan and her father, Thomas Markle, have had a very tense relationship since the royal wedding, ahead of which Markle Sr. struck a deal with a paparazzi photographer for a staged photo shoot. Then, after suffering a heart attack, he refused to lead Meghan at the wedding ceremony, and Prince Charles took his place.
Meghan later told Oprah Winfrey that her father had “betrayed” her and she “would have had a hard time making peace” with him. The relationship with the parent continued to deteriorate as Markle Sr. continued to communicate with reporters and the paparazzi.
Text messages between Meghan and the couple’s former secretary, Jason Knauf, were made public in light of this week’s appeal hearing.
According to testimonies, the Duchess of Sussex decided to write a letter to her father, Thomas Markle, to protect Prince Harry from “constant curses” from the royal family, to do something to prevent Markle Sr. from talking to the media.
One, published on Friday, reveals Meghan’s frustrations with other members of the royal family. In this message, she claimed that they “fundamentally do not understand” the reasons for her separation from her father and writes that she wrote the letter only to “protect my husband from this constant abuse.”
Another message read: “The catalyst for my doing this was when I saw how much pain it caused G. [Harry]. Even after a week with his father and endless explanations of the situation, his family seems to forget the context – and return to the fact that “Can’t she just go and see him and stop it?”
“By taking this form of action, I protect my husband from constant abuse, and although this is unlikely, it may give my father the opportunity to stop,” Meghan Markle wrote.
For his part, during his interview with Meghan with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year, Prince Harry said that he felt “disappointed” with his father, Prince Charles, in anticipation of their departure from the position of senior members of the royal family. He claimed that the Prince of Wales stopped answering his calls while the couple tried to negotiate their position in the royal family by the end of 2019.
“But at the same time – I will always love him – but a lot of pain has happened and I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try to heal this relationship,” Harry told the TV show host.
Earlier this week, Jason Knauf stated as evidence that Meghan wrote a letter to her father, knowing that the message could be the subject of a leak.
Her grounds for filing a lawsuit against ANL were related to privacy and copyright law.
Jason Knauf also said he provided information to Omid Scobie and Caroline Durant, authors of the unofficial biography of the Dukes of Sussex, Breaking Free.
In the testimony of a witness, Knauf said that the book was “discussed on a regular basis,” including “several times directly with the Duchess, in person and by e-mail.”
Megan previously claimed that she and her husband had nothing to do with the book, but later apologized for “misleading the court” because of her recollection of certain conversations with Knauf.