Fraudsters continue to attack Russians. And the ways are more sophisticated than one another. At the same time, offline robbery (on the street or in an apartment) is already a rarity. Much more often, criminals lie in wait for people in the virtual space : they find them on social networks, write by e-mail or call on a mobile phone. In order not to give your money to scammers, you need to know certain rules.
“A few days ago, a notification from the portal of state services came to my work mail . The tax office demanded to pay tax for the car. Everything is very convenient. You could immediately follow the link and enter the card details. I would have done so, but I never had a car … ”, – said Anna, a work colleague.
She thought that, like many, she was the victim of a bureaucratic error. It sometimes happened that the tax authorities sent tax notices to those who sold or deregistered cars a long time ago. I had to go to the inspection and figure it out. Anna was ready to go there too, the letter looked like a real one. But suddenly she noticed that the website address was misspelled – www.gcsuslugi.ru. And everything fell into place. It turns out that the scammers registered a domain that looked like a website of public services and sent out a mass mailing – counting on the inattention of citizens.
Another option for a divorce from the portal of state services was found in Sberbank. The bank began to receive complaints from clients who received fake notifications about detachment from the clinic on their e-mails. Allegedly due to a technical failure. The letter suggested to re-register as soon as possible (due to the pandemic). When clicking on the link, people got to a fake portal of state services, filled out a questionnaire on it and paid a “fee”. That is, they transferred all personal and financial data to the scammers. And the losses did not end there. Having gained access to a person’s profile on “State Services”, the fraudsters could get a loan or microloan in the name of the victim, Sberbank explained.
What to do to avoid getting caught?
- Look carefully at the address of the site you are on. In the case of the Gosuslugi portal, it is always esia.gosuslugi.ru. If you have not entered your username and password yet, and you are immediately asked to add some payment details, in no case do this, ” the Ministry of Digital Security said.
They explained that often the goal of criminals is not only money, but also personal data. For example, having gained access to a personal account on a public services portal, fraudsters will receive a lot of personal information, which they can then use for intimidation purposes.
Remember the African letters from Nigerian princes who needed a middleman to smuggle millions of dollars out of the country? Scammers are now using other technologies. They have mastered the most popular social networks. And now they write to potential victims on Instagram.
- In the summer, a woman from Latin America wrote to me. She said that she really liked my page and that I am very similar to her deceased granddaughter. A couple of days later, she wrote that she had confirmed the last stage of cancer, she had only a couple of weeks left to live, her relatives were gone, and she decided to leave me all her fortune – $ 20 million. I already jumped on the chair, – says blogger Irina.
She, of course, immediately thought that she might be dealing with a fraudster. But she did not interrupt the correspondence. What if everything is real ?!
- To receive an inheritance, it was necessary to draw up legal documents. And this service costs $ 300. The woman began to rush: they say, the days are running out, you need to have time to arrange everything before the disease enters a critical stage. To my reasonable question, why it is impossible to take these 300 dollars out of those 20 million, something unintelligible began to answer. Eh, and I already began to dream of my own villa! – Irina laments.
Nevertheless, in some cases, scammers still manage to catch gullible Russians by the bait. So, recently a Muscovite sent 135 thousand rubles to such false benefactors. The foreign philanthropist allegedly wanted to transfer funds to a fund to support sick children, and the courier with the money was detained at the border. It took two thousand dollars to release him from custody. Their woman and lost.
What to do to avoid getting caught?
The safety precautions here are pretty simple. You just need to remember: there are fairy tales only in fairy tales. If a stranger is ready to leave you a large sum of money, this is from the category of fantasy. And if he also asks for an advance payment, then he is definitely a fraud. Such benefactors should be immediately added to the “black list” until they have lured you out of either money or personal information.
It would seem that calls from the “security service of the bank” have already been received by all Russians several dozen times. But still, there are those who give all their savings to telephone scammers, and even get into loans. The following scenario is currently in use among criminals. They fill out an application for a loan through the websites of banks in the name of a person, and then they call and begin to intimidate. They say that the loan has already been issued, and in order to avoid the consequences, it is necessary to urgently withdraw the money and put it on a special insurance account.
Recently, in this way, a resident of Moscow was forced to take out two loans for a total of 10 million rubles, and then transfer this money to fraudsters (Komsomolskaya Pravda wrote about this). Moreover, this is not an isolated case. According to the Central Bank, in the second quarter of this year alone, fraudsters stole more than 3 billion rubles from bank clients. And only 7.4% of this amount was returned.
What to do to avoid getting caught?
- People are afraid of losing money. It is this feeling that criminals play on. They scare the victim, put pressure on emotional pain points – and the person enters a kind of trance state. After that, a helping hand is extended to him: “I will help you now, I will give you clear instructions on how to protect your money.” As a result, people themselves give everything. To get out of the trance state, it is enough to make some kind of sharp movement, clap or click. Well, or hang up and independently call the bank (at the number indicated on the card. – Ed.), – says Irina Korzhaeva, psychologist, hypnotherapist.
Anna KHARNAS, Head of the Directorate of Financial Literacy, NFI, Ministry of Finance of Russia
“People are lured with discounts, rushed and intimidated”
The essence of any fraud is to force a person to perform certain actions. People can be lured by cheap air tickets, discounts on electronics, popular clothing brands at unexpectedly low prices, messages from government agencies, etc. The link can be sent by e-mail, in instant messengers and social networks. Messages are crafted in a “jewelry” way. Differences from the original are difficult to find. Here’s what you need to know in order not to give money or personal data to scammers:
- Be guided by a simple rule – do not open links coming in messages, but type in the name of the site yourself in a search engine. If the link was sent by an acquaintance or colleague, call him and ask if his account has been hacked.
- The fake letters contain elements of extreme urgency and intimidation – “otherwise it will be too late.” The link is disguised as a QR code, a sticker picture, an offer to participate in a lottery or a discount coupon. The user needs to remember that all letters from the tax or government services are informational. They only duplicate what was received in the personal account. To get complete information, it is better to use the official website, rather than the link from the letter.
- The goal of fraudsters is not always to steal money. A significant part of the schemes are aimed at stealing personal data. After analyzing them, we can draw a conclusion about the social and financial status of a person. If the “client” is interesting and promising, you can “work” with him further using other methods. The presence of detailed personal information will allow you to more effectively mislead the victim and get the desired result – to rob.