A new-old lane appeared in St. Petersburg. Parts of one of the streets in the Moscow district of the city returned to the name that it had at the beginning of the 20th century.
Part of Mariinskaya Street from the turn to Reshetnikova Street will now, in accordance with the decision of the Toponymic Commission, be called Duke Lane. The corresponding decree of the city government was signed by the Governor of St. Petersburg Alexander Beglov, the Smolny press service reports on October 6.
This part of Mariinsky Street was called Ducal Lane from 1906 to 1918. It is believed that the name comes from the name of Hermann Hertz, the managing director of the Siemens and Halske plant (now Electrosila), which was located nearby.
Follow us on Google News Asia Times Now page for faster updates.