What happens if you swallow gum? In most cases, this will pass without a trace for the body, but in some situations it can harm health. Doctor and journalist Sergey Malozemov told about what exactly happens to the body if chewing gum is swallowed in his TikTok .
The author said that chewing gum consists of many flavoring components and an indigestible base. Usually it is rubber: less often natural, much more often very well refined synthetic.
Malozemov noted that earlier he and his colleagues conducted an experiment in which a volunteer swallowed chewing gum.
“We did a gastroscopy. She (chewing gum) gradually nevertheless begins to break down by gastric and then intestinal juices. But in general, it will leave the body more or less in the same form, ”said the author of the channel.
But a potential danger can be caused by swallowing a large amount of chewing gum, which sometimes happens to children through an oversight. But from one or two chewing gums, the journalist assured, there would be no harm.