Day of the troops of radiation, chemical and biological protection is celebrated on November 13. On the eve of the holiday, Lieutenant General Igor Kirillov, Chief of the RKhBZ Troops of the Russian Armed Forces, answered the questions of “MK”.
– Igor Anatolyevich, what qualities are inherent in officers of the troops of radiation, chemical and biological protection?
– Our officers must have increased attentiveness, have psychological stability when acting in the most unfavorable conditions, when exposed to dangerous factors.
When working on equipment, with devices, concentration of attention, accuracy and quick visual and auditory perception, an accurate eye, the absence of color blindness are necessary.To predict the situation, one needs operative memory and the ability to isolate the main thing from information, developed visual-effective and visual-figurative thinking.
Physical fitness is of great importance. The ability to quickly restore physical performance is required. All this is achieved through long, challenging workouts.
You need endurance to withstand prolonged static stresses, for example, at posts of radiation, chemical and biological monitoring, in special machines, laboratories.
People are known to have various phobias. For example, chemophobia. This is a state of an induced imaginary radiation, chemical or biological hazard, fear, constant fear of being exposed to unfavorable chemical factors. Of course, such fears should not be inherent in our military personnel in any form. This is out of the question.
We train specialists at the Military Academy of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Protection in Kostroma. More than 200 lieutenants graduate annually. These are the commanders of radiation, chemical and biological protection units in different types and branches of troops, engineers. We are recruiting a dozen girls for training in engineering specialties.
– Your troops have flamethrower units. What tasks do they solve?
– The experience of local wars and military conflicts, including in Syria, has proven the exceptional demand for flamethrower units. They are needed when the use of other means of destruction is ineffective or impractical.
They are used to fire at the enemy in the most difficult areas, where increased firepower is required, and the outcome of the battle depends on the development of success.
In general, the use of flamethrower units in the combat formations of troops is diverse, ranging from motorized rifle troops to the marines and airborne troops.
There are heavy flamethrower units. They provide fire support for infantry and tanks, defeat enemy manpower from open and closed firing positions, in various types of offensive and defensive combat, as well as to disable lightly armored vehicles and vehicles.
In the course of the Zapad-2021 strategic exercise this year, for the first time, they tested a new method of joint use of mobile groups of TOS-1A heavy flamethrower systems and the Zemledeliye engineering reconnaissance and fire complex to inflict fire damage on the advancing “enemy”.
– What is the difference between the new flamethrowers?
– The task of remote contactless engagement of the enemy predetermines the need for fire impact on its objects at long ranges.
For jet infantry flamethrowers RPO-A, RPO PDM-A, high-energy incendiary compositions have been created. The ammunition design has been improved. The flamethrower-incendiary means adopted in recent years allow flamethrower subunits to significantly increase their contribution to the fire defeat of the enemy, increase the combat capabilities of troops.
– What is the difference between the new gas masks and protective suits?
– Development is proceeding along the path of reducing the range and unification of protective products, improving their efficiency and quality, ensuring compatibility with individual combat equipment “Ratnik”, increasing the time of continuous wearing, as well as reducing weight.
A combined-arms filtering gas mask PMK-4, sets of personal skin protection equipment of the insulating type SIZK-IT and the filtering type – OFZK were developed and adopted for supplying the army. They are better combined with the individual combat equipment “Ratnik”, “Ratnik-2” and the PMK-4 combined-arms gas mask.
The SIZK-IT set provides longer protection for servicemen, has improved physiological and hygienic indicators. Instead of the protective filtering clothing of the OZK-F “Nerekhta” suit, a set of OFZK was developed. Thanks to the use of new generation filtering and sorbing materials, the kit provides enhanced protective properties and improved physiological and hygienic characteristics.
– Are there general trends in the development of personal protective equipment?
– This is a high level of standardization of samples. The ergonomic characteristics of protective equipment are improved. Their weight and dimensions are reduced. They must be integrated with newly developed weapons and weapons systems.
The development of personal protective equipment for the respiratory organs – gas masks, respirators – also has its own trends. These are, for example, the improvement of indicators of the expiration date of the gas mask charge or the introduction of a service life indicator in the filter box of the gas mask. Work is underway to reduce the mass and dimensions of protective equipment, increase the resource and time of use.
Non-woven polymeric materials with selectively permeable membranes are being introduced into the design of new personal protective equipment for the skin. For them, protective materials with specified properties are created on the basis of new polymers, textiles, elastomers, ceramics, and composites. This is nanotechnology, we are talking about grains less than 100 nanometers in size.
New catalysts are being developed to decompose toxic chemicals in filter media. Permeable and semi-permeable protective materials impart higher fire-resistant and durable properties.
Materials are being developed with improved physiological, hygienic and protective properties for service in different climatic conditions. The camouflage properties are improved to reduce visibility on the battlefield, thanks to the coating and applications of textiles.
– How is the research on the development of drugs for the treatment of coronavirus infection progressing at the Scientific Center of the NBC?
– Here we interact with the Ministry of Health, Roszdravnadzor and Rospotrebnadzor. Work is underway to register prophylactic and diagnostic drugs against covid.
For example, a set of reagents has been developed for the detection of coronavirus ribonucleic acid (RNA) in real time, by the method of isothermal loop amplification. It allows detecting coronavirus in bioassays within 30 minutes.
This month, the development was completed and a certificate was received for a means of nonspecific prevention of a new coronavirus infection. It is a dietary supplement.