The autumn conscription campaign continues in Russia. Since the conscription takes place in difficult epidemiological conditions, special attention is paid to the health of recruits. The military commissariats of Moscow have accumulated serious experience in anti-epidemic measures, which make it possible to select conscripts as safely as possible. The military commissar of Moscow, Viktor Shchepilov, told MK about the course of the draft campaign.
– Viktor Andreevich, we are now living in a difficult time of a pandemic, restrictions have affected almost everyone. What measures are being taken in Moscow to protect the health of conscripts?
– I have already repeatedly noted in conversation with your colleagues and I will repeat once again: this is not the first draft campaign that takes place in such difficult conditions. And during this time we have gained a lot of experience in this area.
Firstly, we try to shorten as much as possible the time spent by a conscript in a military registration and enlistment office, in places with a large crowd of people. Therefore, all the necessary preliminary measures, including interviewing the conscript, are carried out by phone or using other means of communication. And only then the conscript is summoned to pass the commission.
Secondly, strict thermometry is carried out everywhere. If the conscript arrives with a fever, he goes home, and we inform the medical institutions of Moscow about this.
Further, when the conscript passes the commission and goes to the collection point, there he undergoes express testing. If the test shows a positive result, the conscript is sent to the hospital, and those who arrived with him in the same conscription team are sent to quarantine.
The necessary quarantine measures are observed along the entire route of the conscript to the place of service. That is, we comply with all the necessary measures recommended by the Rospotrebnadzor administration in Moscow.
– Are the recruits supplied with protective equipment, antiseptics?
– All military commissariats of the districts and the assembly point of the city of Moscow are provided with a supply of personal protective equipment. Masks – at the rate of one mask for three hours of use – conscripts are also provided for the entire duration of their journey to the unit. As for antiseptics, they, like antibacterial soap, are included in the set of an individual army travel bag. It is issued to conscripts at the assembly point.
– What types of troops are popular with Moscow conscripts, are there many more willing?
– Traditionally, special forces are popular. However, the decision on conscription is made by the draft board. This decision is made taking into account the psychological and moral-volitional qualities, the level of education and professional training. If we are talking about special troops – airborne forces, special forces, marines – then the highest category of fitness for military service A1 is required. Most of the recruits with higher education are sent to training units where junior commanders are trained.
– What percentage of conscripts are sent to serve in scientific companies?
– The decision to send a conscript to serve in scientific companies is made on the basis of an assessment of his professional qualities and education. In this sense, Moscow is a very promising city, there are many universities, many graduates. To date, 16 companies have been created in the Russian Armed Forces, to which about 100 Muscovites are sent to serve each call.
– As far as I know, conscripts have the right to ask to serve near their home, if they have good reasons for this. For example, if a conscript has sick parents who need help.
– If we talk about Moscow, then most of our conscripts serve in military units and formations of the Western Military District. Indeed, in a number of cases, a conscript has the right to ask for preferential terms of service. To do this, he must provide the draft board with the necessary documents and inform in advance that he has such circumstances.
– What percentage of recruits choose alternative civilian service?
– The decision to send a citizen to an alternative civilian service is made not by the conscript himself, but by the draft board. He has such a right guaranteed by the Federal Law of July 25, 2002 “On Alternative Civilian Service. If the performance of military service is contrary to his convictions, he must notify in advance about this and still must appear at the meeting of the draft board. As for Moscow, the percentage of citizens who choose alternative civilian service is insignificant.
– And finally – a little about the unpleasant. There is a category of citizens who evade military service …
– I want to remind you that, according to the law, an evader is a citizen who signed for the story and did not appear at the recruiting station. But with regard to these cases, their number is constantly decreasing, especially recently.