Boxer : Former WBC light heavyweight champion Alexander Gvozdik [boxer] in an interview with MK-Sport shared his impressions of the fight between Artur Beterbiev and Markus Brown. The Ukrainian explained how the dangerous dissection played into the hands of the Russian, why the American initially had little chance of winning, and also admitted that he did not consider holding a fight with Dmitry Bivol relevant at the moment.
– What are your impressions of the fight between Arthur Beterbiev and Markus Brown?
– An interesting duel with a twist. It was a bloody mess, emotions beat. The whole situation pushed Arthur to turn on in the fifth round to the fullest, which gave us a wonderful sight.
– How dangerous was the dissection of the Russian boxer?
– After the fourth round, both boxers were taken to the doctor, and she said: “One more round.” Then no one checked the cut, although logically they should have stopped the fight. The replay shows that there was a head collision. In such cases, the scoring takes place.
– Is it good that the meeting was not stopped?
– Certainly. It was clear where everything was going. I gave just such a forecast before the fight – Beterbiev will break Brown.
– Do you think Marcus Brown is a champion-level boxer?
– Marcus is a great fighter. I said that he could beat Arthur. And in the first two rounds, he showed it. He did everything right. Then something happened that happens to Brown in almost all fights. He stopped and stopped boxing. In this case, big problems awaited him, which happened.
– Was Beterbiev in this fight in the same form as in the fight with you?
– I think yes. Only he turned on much more powerfully in the fifth round, because he heard that the doctor gave him one round. Arthur understood that he needed to perform as much as possible: to endorse or take the round outright. Markus should have pulled himself together and boxed too. On my judicial note, I gave the first two rounds to him, the next two to Arthur. It was possible to win the battle: if the meeting was stopped. Brown could “on the ball” become the world champion in two versions. Marcus preferred to stand and test his head for strength.
– Were there any prerequisites that Brown could return to the fight, or at least hold out the entire distance?
– For me, from the moment of dissection, the intrigue disappeared immediately. Because Arthur turned on, and I understand what kind of boxer Marcus Brown is. In the fifth round, there was an intrigue – whether the American would last three minutes, after the sixth round it became clear that the knockout was a matter of time.
– Tell us about your fight with Arthur. How did it develop and why did it end in an early defeat?
– My main problem in that meeting was functional readiness, which was completely absent. Arthur didn’t surprise me with anything, and tactically my battle plan was pretty good. By the fourth round, I had no strength left at all. I remember sitting in the corner and a girl walking around the ring with a sign with the number “four” on it. I realized that I won’t be able to win today.
– Only the fourth, not the 12th.
– Yes. I even thought about how to get off the stool. I don’t know how I made it to the tenth round. On some moral and volitional qualities.
– What was your relationship with Beterbiev before and after the fight?
– As respectful as possible. No trash. He spoke normally of me before and after the fight. Why should they be bad? We had a good fight. He did a great job, I didn’t. Everything is deserved, everything is on business
– At what point did you decide to end your career?
– It was not a spontaneous decision. There were certain events, the coronavirus happened, and at some point I realized that I would not box until I was 80 and I was at the final stage of my career. Anyway. I decided to try myself in a different direction, and I have never regretted this decision.
– Would you be interested in having a duel with Dmitry Bivol? He is ready to consider this option.
– Dimon, thank you very much for your support. I can come and help in sparring, we can box and talk. But I understand perfectly well that the name of a boxer quickly depreciates when it is simple. I don’t think Dima needs it. Not from the point of view that I can give him problems, this is no longer interesting. But I’ll be happy to talk about this topic.
– Is Beterbiev or Bivol the strongest light heavyweight boxer at the moment?
– It’s simple. You need to look at the positions, the number of belts and the activity of the boxers. Of course, in this regard, Beterbiev is the leader today without question. This does not mean that he is better than Bivol. I would love to watch their fight. But now Arthur is a more honored boxer.
– Who would you call the favorite in this confrontation?
Asia Times Now Instagram: Click Here
Asia Times Now Facebook: Click Here
Asia Times Now Twitter: Click Here
Asia Times Now Mockrack: Click Here